Thursday, April 5, 2007

'I've been meaning to tell you...'




There is nothing more frightening than to hear someone make the following statement:

'I've been meaning to tell you... '
Of course, such confrontational language is almost as intimidating as:
'I am not sure how to say this nicely, but... '
How about another torturesome introduction to a 'friend's' comments:
'I don't think there's any better way to say this... '
And coming in fourth place on the list of worst antecedents of all time is another chilling comment:
'I wasn't going to say it, but... '
I think the best course of action, when confronted with such language, is to run. Fast and far. Get away before the speaker can 'share a little home truth'. Of course, the fact that I have encountered such phrases might tell you something about me, or at least about my 'friends'. It may actually suggest that I have honest and caring friends who are willing to instruct me and guide me through the less-refined elements of my character. Either that, or I surround myself with honest people.

The truth is, no-one uses those phrases around me very much at all. But it doesn't stop me fearing them.

If anything, such fear makes me a little cautious about my language -- the ways I approach others with comments and opinions. It makes me question my approaches, my introductions, my communication.

It makes me think before I speak.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Great to see this blog take flight Paul. I'll be watching, reading and occasionally commenting. Good stuff!

Facebook Badge

NEWS FIX! Aussie stuff...